Thursday, June 2, 2011

Misdiagnosis

Sorry for being MIA again... what a busy busy week! I guess tornadoes will do that to you! ;-) Today I was reading up on PCOS again, and I saw an article with this information in it: "Other signs of PCOS include acne, high blood pressure, obesity, and abnormal facial and body hair growth (due to too much testosterone). One of the less recognizable symptoms of PCOS is depression, which can be misread as a bipolar illness."

 When I was 15 I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder.... not a commonly known fact because of the next statement. I honestly think I was misdiagnosed, and the article above helps me confirm that. Every other symptom of PCOS that I have seems to be another misdiagnosis as well. I remember my doctor giving me a terrible time about my insulin levels and weight gain, but he failed to notice that it was because I have PCOS. My current doctor seemed to think that my high blood pressure was just outrageous, but again, he failed to notice that it is also a symptom of PCOS. Now, I hate to point the finger, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that all these things I've been given a hard time about at the doctor's isn't my fault after all. Sometimes I wonder if I should have been a doctor because at this point, the internet seems to know more information than my doctors did.

On a side note, I have been looking into participating in some PCOS medical trials. I found one that is at the University of Michigan, and they actually pay for all your testing and fertility treatments. I figure it benefits me because I already would have been doing this stuff anyways, and it benefits all of us by giving us medical information and understanding of the process.  

2 comments:

  1. Found your blog via babycenter. I can commiserate about the misdiagnosis problem.
    And if the study you're looking at is called PPCOS II, I can tell you that it's worth it. I am in it out of the University of Vermont. :-) The ones running it are VERY up to date on the current research, and if you can transfer all of your medical care (even PCOS care post baby) to there it's worth it. :-)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks... The trial is the PPCOS II. I'm super excited to start!

    ReplyDelete