Thursday, November 17, 2011

Just My Luck...

It's my pity party, and I'll cry if I want to. Yes, that should be my slogan. I've done really well without crying especially considering the medicines make me extremely emotional. I managed to go through the entire first day of our 19th month of trying without crying. It seems like the 15th of every month just hurts my heart, as it marks another month gone without success. Yesterday, I wish I could say the same. Some days it is just too much, and yesterday was one of those days. In addition to that, I am really worried about my appointment tomorrow. 

Before I can explain my frustrations, I need to give a little background information. After a woman ovulates, the follicle that released the egg is called a corpus luteum. It starts releasing progesterone which helps build up a nice and cushy uterine lining among other things. About seven days after the egg releases, the progesterone level peaks. It slowly begins to decline, and a week later, your period comes. If you are pregnant, it will maintain a higher level and continue to produce progesterone to support the pregnancy. The 14 days (approximately- mine is 16-18 days on medicated cycles) between ovulation and a period is called a luteal phase. Hence, the mid-luteal appointment I am going to tomorrow should be around 7 days after ovulation has occurred. Well... today or tomorrow is the day of ovulation.

This leads to my frustration. They base whether I ovulated or not on the progesterone and ultrasound. It is really hard to determine if ovulation has occurred through an ultrasound, and the progesterone level is not going to be nearly as high as it should be to indicate ovulation since I will have literally just ovulated. My biggest fear is that they will base their assumption of ovulation on this, and I'll be stuck trying to prove to them that I ovulated. Of course, it would be the cycle that I picked to take off of temping that I would have this happen. 

So here I sit. More stressed than I should be, and the whole point of me taking this month off was to be calm. Oh well... I guess that's just my luck. You have to take what you can get and just deal with it. Here's to hoping that I get my positive test this cycle, and I won't even have to deal with their crap! Oh.... Here's to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment