Friday, November 11, 2011

Story Time

Tuesday marks the end of another month, and we will be starting our 19th month of trying to have a baby. Then, the next day will mark 3 years since my husband proposed and asked me to be his wife. When I mentioned to him that it was coming up, he smirked and of course, the story of our proposal came up. He loves to pick on me with this one saying I was nosy. I always assure him, I already knew, so there was no point in being snoopy. In light of trying to keep things upbeat especially as we embark the second half of our second year trying, I will share our story. :-)

It was the first big snow of the year. We had some flurries before, but this was the first time it was coming down hard and wasn't melting away as it hit the ground. Now, I need to add some details before this blustery day came about. A couple weeks before, he decided he was going to go up north to see friends without me, and this of course, was my first sign. Then, I'm not kidding, while he was up there, he texted me asking what size ring I wore. If that doesn't give it away, I don't know what does. Of course, I was thrilled by what might come, and I was anxious that as the holidays were approaching, he might ask me. After all, knowing there's a ring doesn't mean we're engaged yet!

Back to that cold, snowy day. We were driving back from a nice dinner, and I decided to be a smarty pants. He absolutely hates when I play with his glove box, and being the turd I am, I decided to flip it open to annoy him. Much to my surprise, I see a Zales bag in there! I slammed it shut and just looked at him like oh my gosh I'm so sorry! He said, well you might as well open it up. I said I didn't want to, as I was still in shock of what I had just found. He whipped it open and threw the bag at me. Here's the kicker, there was no ring in there. It was in fact the pick up ticket for the special order. He said they had called him to say it was in, so we were driving up there to get it. 

At this time, I felt terrible- I had ruined (so I thought) the proposal! We passed our exit and continued to trudge along in the first snow watching people spin out and get stuck. I suggested we just go back, and he said no, we're getting it tonight. It was a long, quiet ride as we went along. We talked a little bit, but I just kept apologizing for ruining the moment. We finally made it up to the mall, and it hit me. We were sitting in the same parking lot we would meet in for our dates. He told me to wait there as he went in for it. I was sitting there reminiscing over the times we had met there and all the sweet moments we had shared. All of the sudden, and yes, I am totally serious here, our song came on the radio. As it eased into the chorus, "Because tonight will be the night that I will fall for you, over again...." he joins me in the car. He opens the the box, and right there, as our song was playing in our favorite meeting spot, he asked me to be his wife. Immediately, I broke into tears saying yes. 

The point of this story is to say we have been through it all. We have had moments where things seemed to be going every way but the right way, but in the end, it was perfect. Sometimes I have to remember that even though we are facing hard times and things aren't going the way I want them to, we are on our way to where we should be. Every failed cycle is a new beginning, and one day, I will be sitting there holding a baby in my arms with my husband by my side knowing this was all worth it and exactly the right time.

2 comments:

  1. Aww so sweet! It sounds the proposal was meant to be, spoiled or not :)

    ReplyDelete