Thursday, February 2, 2012

Uncomfortable Questions

I decided that since my work is a fresh start, I'm going to keep my fertility treatments a secret. My boss knows I go to my doctor's appointments, but she doesn't know what they are for. I appreciate that she respects my privacy and simply writes it down when I tell her I can't work certain days. Since I am new, I get the questions from my co-workers especially when I go to a different school. I get the... How old are you? Are you married? Do you have any kids? I answer with 23, yes, and not yet. I like the not yet answer because it implies that I will but not trying yet. I dread that people who know are always asking if we are pregnant yet. People will make comments about how I'm still young or have plenty of time with the not yet answer, but I simply brush it off and remind myself that their ignorance is bliss. Now, today I got a comment that threw me for a loop. I stated that I was going to school full time and working part time. They asked the famous kids question to which I responded with my usual answer. They responded with, "Well that's good. Don't. They just take too much time." Really? Really, that's your response? I asked her if she had kids... you guessed it... four of them! Just made me want to gouge her eyes out! Your kids are too time consuming? Give 'em to me. I'd love to have that time with them! Ugh, so needless to say I grumbled in my head and went about my own business. Moral of the story... if you have kids, please don't tell someone who doesn't have them they shouldn't have a kid. Lord only knows what she would have said had I told her we were trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment