Friday, May 20, 2011

History Lesson

I thought I'd give a little background to how PCOS came into my life, and at what point it took it over. Back when I first started my periods, they were just awful! Painful, heavy, and downright crazy. I just figured I was blessed with a mess and dealt with it. Later on, I went to the hospital for kidney stones. While I was there, they did a CAT scan, and in addition to the kidney stones, they found cysts on my ovaries and an issue with my back which is a whole new story. lol

The emergency room referred me to my family doctor to follow up. My doctor sent me in for an ultrasound to find out if the cysts were causing any issues. The technician spent forever and a day taking a ton of pictures, and she even when to get another technician to look as well. When I got the results, they said I had a lot of cysts, and some of them were bursting. All the fluid is what the tech was so concerned about. The doctor put me on birth control pill, and I went on my way. After that, my periods were extremely light, and I was absolutely delighted.

Fast forward to the summer after I graduated from high school. I am not sure why, but I hated taking the sugar pills for birth control. I guess now I know why they have you take them... because I totally forgot to start taking the pill after my week off. Since I wasn't sexually active, I wasn't concerned. I waited, and waited, and waited- but no period came. About 18 months later with still no period, I finally decided that I should get it looked into. I was young and totally loving no period, and at the time, I was happy about it. I went to the doctor, and he prescribed me pills to start my cycle and more birth control. I went about a year on this with no real issues and a regular cycle.

All the sudden I started having issues again. Random bleeding at weird times, painful cramps, a lot of concerns that bothered me a heck of a lot more than not having a period at all. At this point, I was with living with my husband, and we agreed I should get it taken care of. I went to the doctor, had a bunch of bloodwork done, and got an ultrasound. The results came in, and the doctor said that since nothing else was coming up, it must be PCOS. Um, what are you PCOS whisperer? You are just guessing that since you can't figure it out? Needless to say, I was annoyed and just wanted to be done with it all. She changed my birth control pill, and things started getting better again.

Finally, go to about two months after I married my husband. I had been off the pill with a couple normal cycles, but it was like a switch went off to make my cycles wonky as soon as we started trying to have a baby. I decided to look for a new doctor, and found a male doctor who was quick to get me in. We had another ultrasound, and we went over all my symptoms. It was then that I finally got an official diagnosis of PCOS without anyone just "guessing" it was that. He gave me some medicine to start my cycle again, try for another month, and if I didn't ovulate to come back and start treatments. Of course, being the stubborn person I am, I wanted to try everything I could to do it on my own. I did all the natural options I could find, but to no avail, it didn't work.

Once I got over my pride, I decided it was time to let the doctor work his magic. And here we are, witnessing his magic trick! I never thought I'd finally see the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment