Monday, August 22, 2011

All in the Family

No... I'm not talking about the classic sitcom. We can thank what appears to be genetics for my PCOS. While there is no proof that there is a certain gene that causes it, there is research going into it. What researchers know right now is that there is a significant number of women who have PCOS that have family members who also had/have it. Additionally, if a woman's family has diabetes or early male baldness, her chances of PCOS are greater. I have identified that my father's side is likely where it comes from if it is in fact genetic. My second cousins have PCOS as well, and let's just say the men in the family usually aren't blessed with a full set of hair. Here's to hoping that by the time our child is old enough to start wanting children, they will have done enough research to know what causes it. I've offered myself up for any future clinical trials for PCOS related studies, so I can hopefully contribute to the greater understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment