Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Egg Donation

I've been thinking lately about egg donations. While I'm certainly not at the point in our trying to want to find others' eggs, I am considering the further future. If everything pans out, and we finally get our little one, I want to do something even bigger with my life. I want to donate my eggs. I know it sounds insane to know that I could have a little me somewhere in this world without ever knowing them, but I know the pain and hurt of not having a baby. I know what it feels like as the dagger sinks in as you watch everyone around you have babies while you can't. If I could possibly make someone's life easier by giving them an egg, I really think it would be a gratifying experience. If I was going to ever give someone the opportunity to raise a child that was technically half me, I would want it to be for someone who I know will be a good parent. Call me crazy, but when people spend that much time, effort, and money on having a child, chances are they will certainly be worthy of raising a child with my DNA. Which leaves me with my poll this week. Would you ever donate your egg or sperm?

2 comments:

  1. I would def consider donating my eggs. I had thought about this even before I had my daughter 8 years ago. At that time it was more of a monetary thing than a good for someone else thing. After I had her, I seriously considered it. She is the most amazing thing that has happened in my life and I don't think that anyone who wants to be a mother should be denied that for any reason. Now that I have my own issues having another one it would be that much more gratifying to be able to help another woman fulfill her dreams of becoming a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are a better woman than I am, I couldn't donate my eggs. I see where you guys are coming from and admire you guys highly, but for personal reasons (mostly involving unknown future health issues thanks to adoption) I think it's best if my eggs stay in the family.

    ReplyDelete